Monday, April 11, 2005

whats new page

Jonas's Progress

April 11, 2005
Jonas had some vaccinations the other day. I hate to look at his face after he's been punctured by a seemingly nice lady. Man, don't get me started on the medical community and their overmedicating ways... But he did well. He's 26 pounds and 34 inches tall. A friend was telling me that his niece who is currently one year and four months only weighs 19 pounds. My little overachiever!
He has discovered how to offer us drinks of his bottles or sippy cup. It's just too sweet.
His fascination with wheels lives on. He sat infront of his walker spinning the wheels for quite some time today.
He is still talking a lot. No new words. He just rambles in his own language. But he loves to have conversations.
His birthday is coming up soon and we're not sure what we're going to do. Last year I was hoping not to go into labor until after I had visited the renaissance fair that was in town. I never made it. So this year hopefully we can visit. Other than that, I think we may try to go to the Long Beach aquarium or some other such place. Not that he would remember but that's what pictures are for.
We were looking over the early pictures of Jonas and just could not believe how much he's changed. This time last year he was scrunched up in my stomach and I was more than ready to not be pregnant anymore. Only a year has gone by and I'm amazed at how much our little baby has changed in facial features, personality and all the rest. Its kind of sad. How much will he have changed next year?

March 16, 2005
I apologize for taking so long to update the log. What can i say but that Jonas is two and a half handfulls. Drawers and cupboards are not match for my curious George. I've even caught him doing small pullups on the dresser so he could see over the top. His feet were literally off the floor.
The obsession with remotes continues; and cell phones, keyboards, anything with buttons. I took him to my girlfriend Darcy
s house and we hadnt been there more than 2 minutes when he found her computer. All I saw was his back end jiggling as he ran over to it. He is definitely his father's son. Im always surprised the way he notices things. He also loves wheels and watches them spin on his stroller.
And movies! He can watch the Veggie Tales Jonah and the whale every day. And watch he does. There is a part in the beginning where the veggies lose control of their car and everyone is screaming. He actually laughs! Its so cute that I dont mind watching it 5 times a day.
Ive really noticed how long he is getting. Just a couple months ago he would try to reach the dorr knob but could on just touch the bottom of it. Now he can almost wrap his hand around it. He knows its the only way to freedom so he tries hard to pull on the knob.
Ive started taking Jonas to the swings at the park. He absolutely loves it, especially when its a good and high push. He loves to play real rough and we always have to remind ourselves that he's still just a baby.
As cute and sweet as Jonas is he's also become much more demanding. Everyday he refines his temper tantrum skills. A few times he's thrown his head back in a fit and fallen right over. Its kind of funny when all you see are legs flailing in the air. With all the tumbles he's taken Jim has nicknamed him "Crash" Starling.

January 30, 2005
Yesterday we had a scare. At nine months the baby is learning how to walk. At most he takes 4 steps. But because he still is not very coordinated he often falls pretty hard. Yesterday at grammy's house he did just that and as a result bit through his tongue. Blood poured out of his mouth and scared me half to death. He was in so much pain and I felt so terrible. To help slow the bleeding we gave him ice water and ice cream. He was very happy with the ice cream. Today his cut is no longer bleeding but his tongue is swollen and has a prominent "scab". Jeez! The first of many injuries to come, Im sure. And I certainly don't look foward to them.

Janurary 25, 2005
There have been some new tricks this month. He discovered the doorknob and will often try to reach for it as though he wants to turn it. Its so interesting to think that this little baby (and he still is a baby even though he's as big as a toddler) learned what the doorknob does.
It just fascinates me everytime he does something new, or figures something out that I didn't intentionally try to show him.
He's also learned that clapping is a happy celebration. When he falls down sometimes we will clap and say "yay!" to hopefully wisk away any crying or fear that he may want to express. Of course, when he does something cute we alway clap, too. Well, I forgot exactly what he did but right afterwards he clapped and made a "yay" sound. I swear he knew he was cheering for himself. I laughed so hard to think about what his little brain was thinking and what his intentions were.
And this morning as I was bathing him he had a special self discovery. It wasnt like when I change his diaper and he just grabs whatever he can get his hands on without thinking about it. No, today he was poking at his newest discovery with his fingers and studying it. Then he would yank on it but I would quickly stop him from hurting himself. It made me chuckle a bit.
Jonas talks so much. I think it has only been this month that he's starting making 'mamama' sounds. So "mama" and "dada" are the two words he loves to repeat. I wonder if he actually knows what he's saying. One thing is certain that Jonas knows how to tell us off when he's mad. He may be crying becayse he's cranky or yelling because he's angry, but between all the whining are a few distinct sounds where I am sure he is telling me what's what. I can't help but laugh. Its so cute to be told off by a baby.

January 12, 2005
The baby is getting more and more mobile. He flys across the room darting after the kitty, or paper, or any other object that catches his eye.
We bought him a walker a couple weeks ago. It looks like a push cart. Unfortunately, the wheels are free spinning so Jonas can't control how fast he goes. He starts to fall foward and ends up taking large lunge steps to keep from falling.
He is also starting to sleep more in his crib. Thank Goodness! - because he is such a wild sleeper. Its no wonder he can't sleep all the way through the night; he probably wakes himself up while tossing and turning.
He's also eating more table food and biter biscuits. He loves those things! I can put him in his little bounce chair with a cookie in his hand and he's content as can be, munching on his cookie and watching TV. Sesame street is one of his favorite shows. In particular, Elmo's World. The other day I was cooking in the kitchen while the baby was in his playpen. He cried and yelled for me to take him out. Then the theme music from Elmo's World came on and he stopped crying, threw his body toward the TV to watch. For a good two minutes he was actually quiet and enjoying the show. But then he remembered he was supposed to be mad at me and proceeded to cry. I laughed so hard I think I scared him.

Christmas day, 2004
Baby’s first Christmas. As for his progress, a couple days ago he stood up from the floor without any aids. I was much impressed. He continues to crawl in his small ‘living room’ area. And it is apparent that the poor bubba needs more space. I don’t know how we’ll do it. He is already starting to tear through his play pen mesh. I think we’ll need a new one soon. We’ve started giving him showers. One of us will sit in the shower with him and bathe ourselves. I’m very surprised that he likes it so much. I just hope that he likes to swim when he’s still a baby.

November 30, 2004
A few days ago the baby has figured out how to use the lever that spins the starfish on his fisher-price aquarium. He just stands in front of it and pushes the lever and watches the little starfish spin around. It occupies him for a few minutes.
Over the weekend he also discovered his tongue. He likes to stick it out real far. Drool comes out like mad. And when we stick our tongues out at him he then will do the same thing.
His one incisor on the far left side is getting sharper. The other incisor opposite appears that it is coming through. The outline of the two front incisors is very prominent. You can see and feel them. They’re very hard.
He has also developed a strong affinity for electronics. The phone, cell phones, remote control are all things the baby is obsessed with. He is able to find them without even trying. So I gave him an old remote control to entertain himself with but he seems unsatisfied and realizes that this is not like the remote control that belongs to the television.
Jonesie is also getting more daring and able to stand on his own for several seconds. It’s just a matter of time before he is terrorizing our small abode. I fear for myself. 

November 11, 2004
This week was the booby’s 6 month check up/vaccine visit. He did very well and didn’t really cry when he got his shots. I tried to distract him and either it worked or the nurse was really good.
When the doctor came into the room he called Jonas’s name and he looked at him. I knew he recognized his own name but I don’t think I realized that he knew it so well.
He’s so cute when he tries to mimic certain sounds I make. Bbbbbbbb sounds he tries to imitate but he purses his lips to tight and it sounds like Ppppppp with a lot of spit. But its cool to see him try.
His top teeth are just about ready to come through. You can definitely see the outline of the front four. But one of his fangs is already cutting through. Poor thing has been biting whatever he can.
He still doesn’t sleep all through the night. And definitely doesn’t sleep by himself in his bed. I don’t know how we’re going to change that. It is hard. Mostly because I can’t fall asleep unless he’s next to me. I’ll have to do dome research.
I am very glad he is a happy baby. Although quite demanding. And insistent on doing things he isn’t quite ready for.
He still talks a lot. I wonder when he will speak his first real word.

November 3, 2004
We are all still sick but jim and I have contracted different illnesses again. And I just hope the baby can stay fairly healthy. Baby is still somewhat sick. Every now and then he coughs and sneezes. Poor Bubbas. And he talks so much. A few days ago I left him in the jumper while I was preparing some food. He was getting very tired of being in there but I was not finished with what I was doing. Well he saw me peeking in on him and decided to scream and cry louder. In the midst of his screaming he was forming distinct sounds, as though they were actual words in another language. I felt so horrible, like he was saying, “mamma come and get me out of here please!” I think he was, in fact.

October 27, 2004
Today is a Wednesday and on Sunday the baby officially crawled. He does get much opportunity in this place but whenever we can we make him crawl after something. He looks so cute and still a bit shaky and uncoordinated while he’s doing it. He’s also insisted on standing more. I’m afraid he will really hurt himself by falling over and whacking his face against something. We’ve all got colds. Jonas has been having a hard time with it. He’s woken up from sleeping a few times because he couldn’t breath. It was sad. He would try to breath through his nose but nothing could pass through. Then he would take a big gasp of air from his mouth. And he’s been coughing. Poor thing, he sounds so pathetic; coughing, sneezing, and gasping for air. We gave him vicks and drugged him best we could. He seems to be doing better today.

October 12, 2004
Just came back from Monrovia. He can now press himself into a standing position. He did this leaning on me while I was laying down next to him. And coming home from the trip I stopped the car to check on him and he reached for my chest. So I gave him a bottle and he was pleased. He talks a bit more and his sounds are almost like he’s trying to form words. Some sounds are ‘aye-aye-aye’, ‘daaadaa’, ‘thu’ and some others. I think he knows what he’s saying. Probably cursing us ;)

September 30, 2004
The start of Jonas’s fifth month:
continues to try and get up into set position. It reminds me of a gymnast trying to do a handstand press. Is also beginning to hold more of a balance when sitting up. He still leans to one side and will often fall over, but his strength is increasing. He also is beginning to grab for objects. He reaches out either with fists and sometimes an open palm. Things like his bottle and toys. And he is always interested in putting anything he grabs into his mouth. Weighed him today and he’s approximately 22 pounds. He enjoys riding in his stroller much more now, except that he insists on sitting up. I pack him in with a blanket around his legs and side to prevent him from slumping over to the side. At previous attempts to sit him up he would lean over and gnaw on the plastic.

No comments: